|1. Solenoid valve before dissassembly.
Test valve for operation by turning ignition to "run". Engine does not need to be running. This will power the solenoid and the plunger will extend. If the tip survives, then no air can go through (will hold a vacuum). If the tip is gone, look inside to see the metal plunger. Turn ignition off and the plunger is no longer visible.
Note the orientation of the inlet and outlet to the solenoid itself.
|2. Open up crimp.
This is an excercise in patience and care. I found the best tools I had handy for this operation were a very sharp and thin punch and light hammer. After getting enough of the crimp open, the small screw driver and channel-locks were also useful.
|3. Inside of Valve.
Notice the charcoal bits along with other dirt that hadn't yet made it to the carb bowl. Charcoal bits? Where's that from? The Vapor Canister. You can read about rebuilding that here.
The crimp itself does not do any sealing. There is a o-ring that seals the actuator to the base. It can be seen more clearly in the next photo.
|4. The valve seat has an i.d. of
5/16". Therefore the original tip either went into the seat
or was wider than 5/16". I tried two approaches, one
starting with hardwood dowel about 11/32" and the other with a nylon
"button". The button may have been a form of wall anchor for
picture hanging. You'll need to get creative here. What
you choose probably will depend on the materials and machinery you have
access to. A small lathe or milling maching opens up
possibilities. The drawing at the bottom of this page has measurements which should prove helpful.
The valve stem itself has a groove to help retain the tip. Again I believe a hard rubber was the original material.
|5. Cleaned the valve with Goop. Not sure
what chems would be safe so I was conservative. Honestly, carb
cleaner would probably be OK on thehard white plastic ( nylon?).
Keep it away from the o-ring.
|6. Slide the two parts together and orient as it was originally. Orientation is probably not super critical.
|7. Test and recrimp. I used channel locks.
|8. Added some self bonding tape to wrap it up.
If you take advice, or copy something I have done, you are on your own. I'm just trying to be helpful, but you need to make your own decisions, and know about or discover the risks before barging ahead on any endevour.
The information and pictures on this page are free to use and share by all and may not be sold. If you steal something I have written, or a picture I have taken or drawn, you are a thief. Plain and simple. If you wish to quote something, you are free to do so. All I ask for is proper credit.
rev. 3 Feb 3 Jan 2015